Gibraltar Car Park on Devil’s Tower Road was the first of a series of infrastructure projects developed to help ease traffic congestion within the historic centre by providing a new Park and Ride facility. It is a 6 level reinforced concrete structure providing 1000 car park spaces with associated shuttle bus interchange.
The site’s sensitive location at the foot of the Rock of Gibraltar and the Government’s plan to create a tunnel under the runway transformed Devil’s Tower Road into the main artery into the town centre. The architecture responds to its gateway position on a key roundabout into the town centre. The building is organised in layers with car parking functions to the North and pedestrian circulation walkways animating the southern street facade. Sculptural external steel stairs are located at both ends of the walkways while a third centrally located core provides lift access.
The South elevation has a gently curving metal solar screen formed of extruded aluminium tubes creating an elegant facade treatment with a horizontal emphasis.
The project was built in two phases with the first phase reaching completion in autumn 2010 and becoming operational while Phase 2 was under construction. The facility became fully operational in late 2011.
Structural and M&E:
Government of Gibraltar